Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thing #19: "Liking" Other Social Networks

While I had not previously been a member of any of the listed social networks, I have used Ning before, though, as I have had friends create Ning social networks for various reasons.  I decided to join Gather and Classroom 2.0 to find out what to expect, in addition to joining TeacherPop.

Gather is a very different experience from other social networks I have used.  Gather seems more like a social content aggregator than a traditional social network, but I'm okay with that description.  It could also be deemed a "debate platform"; the comments on any particular piece are typically from both sides of the issue and are remarkably civil, especially in comparison to other sites that attempt to approach current and controversial issues.  I could see using Gather (or articles & commentary from it) as part of a debate project with students.

Classroom 2.0 is very much like my experience with other Ning-based networks.  It is a well-designed and thorough site with all the basic features you would expect in a modern social network:  status updates, comment walls, member-to-member messaging, content sharing, etc.  The community is also very active, and many of the members seem helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment